Clemson area update

Hello Carolina Birders,

Last week a Red-breasted Nuthatch female was at my front birdbath ( it has
running water) and also came to a nearby sunflower feeder. A first sighting
in this area for me. Also a male Indigo Bunting came to the  feed on the
ground near the same birdbath. My next door neighbor also saw them at her
feeders. We both have also seen 3 Pileated Woodpeckers in our back yards. I
heard what I think were 2 young ones calling after  one of the parents-
then I spotted all three! I have seen  male and female adults in my yard
several times and also in a nearby pine forest.  A pair of Bluebirds have
returned to the nest box in my backyard near the lake and have started a
second brood. I am thrilled! The Brown-headed nuthatches sucessfully raised
a brood of 7 in a Bluebird house at the end of my drive (which they
defended vehemently against a pair of Bluebirds earlier this Spring)! A
pair of Carolina Wrens have 4 nestlings that hatched on Sun. on a shelf in
my garage. They had abandoned a nest over my kitchen window. I believe a
squirrel raided it.

I am also hearing a Wood Thrush for the first time in this immediate
neighbor hood and a Great-crested Flycatcher. Was there something mentioned
about them nesting in a newspaper roll.? What would be the specifications?
I've also heard they will nest in a gourd?

Oh, I almost forgot. A pair of Bluebirds have a nest in one of the 2 houses
I put in our neighborhood park this Spring. So despite  my low number of
hummingbirds this year, I am very happy about all the nests and sightings.

I also wanted to thank everyone who responded to my request for information
about bird indentification CD's. I did buy Stokes' set and am very happy
with them. I already had the video 'Watching Warblers'--it is wonderful!!
Thanks everyone.

Have a great birding day,
Kaye T Fenlon