Henderson County/Buncombe County

Folks,
        Bob Olthoff and I birded together for several hours this AM.  We
were hoping for some early shorbirds but had no luck.  We did however have a
very early Osprey at Lake Julian in Buncombe County.
        On Jeffress Road in Henderson County we confirmed what we have
suspected.  We had an adult Grasshopper Sparrow feeding a youngster.  We see
Grasshoppers in spring and fall, and even hear them singing in early summer,
but this is the first time we have in fact seen them with youngsters.
                                                                    Happy
4th of July!
                                                                    Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe