Albatrosses over North Carolina??

Just had an interesting conversation with the former director of the Duke
Marine Lab.  He was telling me about research on the physiology of
albatrosses that was conducted at the lab about 1961 (they had brought in
four albatrosses, don't know what kind, or where they were from).  Anyway,
during a storm that he described as a hurricane the four birds escaped and
took off.

Again, this was about 1961, apparently in hurricane season.

Does anyone recall any sightings of albatrosses along the East Coast about
then?  Again, I don't know what species they had.

What would be the best forum for distributing this question elsewhere on the
East Coast.  Perhaps someone would like to forward it for me.

                                         John Fussell
                                         Morehead City, NC
                                         jfuss@clis.com