Odd Parula behaviour

Dear All,

Yesterday (8/21) I watched a Northern Parula aggressively chase off
Northern Cardinals and American Robins that dared to fly into the area in
which the Parula was foraging. Strangely though it completely ignored a
juvenille Pine Warbler that was actively feeding in the same tree. While
I have seen some warbler species chase off other warblers, I have never
seen this behaviour directed towards these much larger species.

Jim Bloor, Ph.D
Department of Biology
Developmental, Cell and Molecular Biology
Group
B330 LSRC Building
Duke University
Research Drive