Re: Dead Virginia Rail

In a message dated 8/25/01 2:27:29 PM, phukan@email.unc.edu writes:

<< While driving home on Weaver Dairy Road just outside of Chapel Hill I
found a dead rail on the road. All I could tell was that it was not a
Sora, but my id skills were not good enough to tell if it was a Virginia
or a King. Upon bringing it home I discovered that it had a deep wound on
the back of the neck and another around the undertail coverts. I guess
this means that some predator caught hold of it by the neck. It is much
drabber than any of the illustrations of of either King or VIrginia Rails
in the Sibley book, but I am leaning towards an Immature Virginia. It is
in good shape and museum-worthy. It is sitting in my freezer in a plastic
bag.

Now the question is: What next?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Shantanu Phukan

Shantanu and  all,
    This is part of an e-mail I received from John Gerwin a while back, said
I could forward it when might be useful:

<<thanks to the help and thoughtfulness of many willing folks
around the state, we were able to to process about 500 salvaged birds for the
new
Museum's exhibits and educational programs.  All from window/road/cat/wire
etc.
kills.  Now, the thought itself can be a bit depressing, but at least many
were
put to good use.  Quite a few also get added to the research collection
because
they were in some interesting stage of molt or age that helped fill a gap in
our
database.  It really helps again to have date/location.

John

--
Please note the NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: ncs1416@mindspring.com
John A. Gerwin