Re: Hummingbird food

>I've read that people should put "a little extra" sugar in the hummingbird
>water in the fall to give the birds extra energy for their flight south.
>I've always fed 1/4 cup sugar to a cup of water.  I think that too much
>sugar could hurt them, so I hesitate to take that advice.
>Thanks for any comment you may have,
>Lucille Lentz
>ljl@etinternet.net
>Richmond County, NC
>In the Sandhills

LUCILLE . . .

Any "extra sugar" would be burned up almost immediately. What hummers
need in fall is protein and lots of fat, both of which they get by
eating large numbers of tiny insects and spiders.

Save money on your sugar and keep it at 4:1.  :-)

Cheers,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.