Portsmouth Island birds

Joan Kutulas and I went to Portsmouth Island monday and found the flats wet
with fairly good numbers of birds. There was a good variety of species with
our best birds being: a Baird's Sandpiper in a dry, grassy area just east of
the flats, a Long-billed Curlew, several Piping Plovers, and several
Wilson's Plovers (I don't get to see many of those up on the outer banks).
Saw lots of other shorebirds and several species of terns including 30 or 40
Black Terns. There is a new Park Service dock there this year and access is
easy (no wading through deep water - we stepped off right onto the shore).
	Jeff Lewis
	Manteo, NC