FW: Chimney Swift Monitoring Project Seeks Involvement

FYI
-----Original Message-----
From: Neotropical migratory birds in southeastern United States discussion
list [mailto:SEPART-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf Of Dean Demarest
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 9:37 AM
To: SEPART-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Chimney Swift Monitoring Project Seeks Involvement

Dear Associate,

The Chimney Swift nesting season has drawn to a close, and the roosting
flocks have begun to congregate.  This year we are going to try to raise
awareness of Chimney Swifts and Vaux's Swifts by holding our first
annual A Swift Night Out.  John Connors, a Research Associate with the
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh presented the idea
earlier this year, and we think it has great potential for spreading the
message of Chimney Swift conservation.

We propose that over the next week you locate a Chimney Swift or Vaux's
Swift roost in your area.  A roost is a location where swifts gather at
dusk to spend the night.  Then on one night over the weekend of
September 8, 9, 10, you observe the roost at dusk and estimate the
number of swifts that enter.  When you have your number, contact us with
your results.  We will set up a page on our web site to compile the
results as they come in.   You may send in your results by email, fax,
phone or regular mail - we will continue to update the results through
the end of September.  Here are the contact numbers:

Email:  dwa@concentric.net  / Fax or phone:  (512) 266-3861
U.S. Mail:  Driftwood Wildlife Association 1206 West 38th, Suite 1105
Austin, Texas 78705

When reporting your results please include:  number of swifts counted,
time, date, location (address, city, state/province) and broad
description of the site, e.g. school, warehouse, residence, Chimney
Swift Tower, etc.  Weather conditions may also be reported.

If you are a member of a local bird club, outdoor group, Audubon chapter
or any other organization that might be interested in participating,
please ask them to pass this information along to their membership.

This first year will be a relatively "low tech" event.  However, if
response is positive, we will make every effort to move it to the next
level in 2002.

Thank you for your support of Chimney Swift conservation.  We look
forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Paul D. and Georgean Z. Kyle
Project Directors

North American Chimney Swift Nest Site Research Project
Driftwood Wildlife Association
1206 West 38th Street, Suite 1105
Austin, TX 78705
(512) 266-3861