Ridge Junction Results 09/09

We had a great morning at Ridge Junction Overlook (milepost 355.8 on the
Blue Ridge Parkway) this morning!  We were joined by Donna Bailey and Molly
Bonnell from the lowlands of SC and by James and Shelby Teague of Hickory,
NC.  We had a rainbow of warblers----they were EVERYWHERE!  We wound up with
14 species of them---all right in front of us and the majority of them from
within 20 feet!  You just can't have it any better!  Here's the whole list
(39 species total) including residents:

Turkey Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk  1
American Kestrel 1
Chimney Swift  1  (a lonely sight!)
RT Hummingbird  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  9
Common Raven  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch  10
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher  2
Veery  ~10 (heard only)
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1 (heard only)
Swainson's Thrush  3 (heard only)
Gray Catbird  2
Cedar Waxwing  12
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Tennessee Warbler  too many to count (maybe 100+)
Chestnut-sided Warbler  15+
Magnolia Warbler 3
Cape May Warbler  2
Black-throated Blue Warbler 12
Black-throated Green Warbler  too many to count (maybe 50+)
Blackburnian Warbler 7
Prairie Warbler 1  a great find at this elevation!
Bay-breasted Warbler  4
Blackpoll Warbler  2
American Redstart  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Hooded Warbler  1
Yellow-breasted Chat  1  a great find at this elevation!
Scarlet Tanager  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  4
Dark-eyed Junco  7
Red Crossbill  2