Limpkin at Phinizy Swamp, Augusta, Georgia

Hello,

My wife and I did not see a limpkin today (9/9/01) at Phinizy Swamp.
However, we did hear one. We heard the exact same call as the one at Savanah
NWR was making earlier this year. We tried to get this bird to cross an
opening in the marsh by whistling a similar call to it's own but failed
(this often fails with these birds in my experience but what the heck).

Directions:

I-20 to rt. 520 in Augusta to the exit for Bush Field airport (sorry... I
don't know which exit#). Head toward the airport about 1/4 mile, passing a
waste water treatment plant on left. Make the first left after the plant
(immediately before the beginning of the air field so now the air strip will
be on the right). Go about 1/2 mile past a pond on the left and immediately
after a single house on the left there will be a Phinizy Swamp sign and gate
on the left as well. Pull in and park in the lot and head down the walking
trail into the impoundments (not toward the silos). There is a 10-yard-wide
fenced-in canal running down the center of the impoundments (right to left
as you approach... east-west). The bird is on the other (north) side of it
about 1/6th of the way from the right end. Head for the right (east) end of
the fence and arround to the north side. Walk the road about 200 yards to
where the fence makes  its sharpest bend to the right. There is a road/dyke
running north-ish 30 more yards after the bend. The bird was about 25 yards
out and in thick cattails.

This area is only open to the public on weekends. Sorry I didn't get this
out until late Sun.

Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC
skua99@hotmail.com