Shorebird video review

I have not seen many of my favorite shorebirds in the Raleigh area this
fall due to full lake and pond levels as a result of the copious amounts of
rain we have enjoyed recently.  My despair was lightened somewhat when I
was loaned a copy of "Shorebirds: A Guide to the Shorebirds of North
America" created by Richard K. Walton and Greg Dodge.  You may recognize
Walton's name as the voice over on the Peterson's Backyard Bird Song
recording.

The 70 minute video explains identification of 38 species of eastern North
American shorebirds.  Each species receives close up video footage along
with a voice over from Durham's own Greg Dodge.  Video action is frozen at
various times to exemplify particular characteristics such as the black
axillaries of the Black-bellied Plover, the white rump of the White-rumped
Sandpiper, and the long primary extension of the Baird's Sandpiper.  There
is even a section on one of my favorite shorebird haunts, sod or turf
farms.

Some features that I found particularly useful are the side-by-side
comparison of basic and alternate plumaged birds of the same species, video
of mixed shorebird flocks allowing the viewer to see similarities and
differences between similar species like the Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs,
and an excellent discussion of dowitcher identification.  I thought the
quality of the film footage was quite good with most birds in good light
and in sharp focus.  Several species which can be identified by voice, such
as the dowitchers, are accompanied by sound clips of calls.

Unlike flitting warblers and skulking sparrows, shorebirds frequently allow
the viewer a reasonably leisurely look at plumage, silhouette, and bill
shape and length.
The video format seems to be especially useful in learning each of these
characteristics for the covered species.

The video is available from ABA sales
(http://208.56.18.90/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ASBS&Category_Code=MVA)

some local wild bird stores, or directly from the manufacturer at
brownbagproductions.com.

Hope you enjoy!
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
(who has no fiancial interest or gain in sales of this title)

computer.