More count commentary; Jordan Dam and Triangle Birder's Guide

Hi C-birders,

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Robin Carter wrote:

> So, let's lighten up at bit. In some sense this is "citizen science",
> but it's mostly for fun. If it's not fun, then why are you doing it?

I'm sorry if I came across as abrasive in my note yesterday. I didn't
intend to sound critical, only curious.

I did receive an answer to my question about the NAMC. Apparently the
statewide coordinator is a guy in Fayetteville who does not have e-mail,
and the person who gave me this information didn't know his phone number
either. I guess that explains the lack of communication about the NC
NAMC! I'll hang onto the information, and maybe try to count a county
other than Chatham next fall... I don't want to send the man's snail-mail
address to the whole world, but if anybody wants to take Robin's Nike-
esque advice ("So, if you want to count anyplace in the Carolinas, just
do it"), I can give you that information privately.

My question about the NC CBCs still stands unanswered, though. Who makes
the scheduling decisions about CBCs, and why are all the best counts in
this state held on consecutive days between Xmas and New Year's Day?

Apparently the dates for this year's CBCs are already set. I haven't
found an answer to Jeff's question about the counts near Alligator River
NWR (presumably Mattamuskeet, Nag's Head, Bodie and Pea Islands) but the
CBC dates for the Triangle are already up on Will Cook's website at
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/countsched.html
Update your calendars now!

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Stephen J. Perry wrote:

> I'm taking part in the Fall count at Jordan Lake on Saturday and was
> hoping people familiar with the area/count could advise me on good
> spots for birds. I have been designated the area around the dam. Also
> I have not got a map yet to show the boundary of my area

This, too, is on Will Cook's website, as part of his on-line Triangle
Birder's Guide. See
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/jordam.html
for a map and description of the dam area; folks counting elsewhere in
Chatham County on Saturday can start at
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/chatmap.html
and the rest of the Triangle is accessible via
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/
Last I heard, Will was still looking for write-ups of some very
well-known, popular, frequently birded sites, such as Dairyland Road
(home of our local Dickcissels and Warbling Vireos), Mason Farm (lair of
the Kentucky Warbler), Umstead Park, Lake Wheeler, the airport, and
others. Will issued an open invitation for write-ups of these or any
unlisted birding spots back at the beginning of the summer, as you can
see at
http://www.ibiblio.org/~pardo/birds/archive/archive7/msg00667.html

Good birding, especially on Saturday!

Josh