Wilson's Warblers at Ridge Junction Overlook on BRP

I spent Saturday and Sunday mornings (9/22 and 9/23) at the Ridge
Junction Overlook at the base of Mt. Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway
(BRP).  There were lots of migrants coming up over the ridge, I estimate
a few hundred birds each day.  There were far more than I could even
begin to identify by myself.  Had there been more birders I am confident
that the species list would have been substantially larger.  Flights
generally began around 7:00am and ended promptly at 11:00am.

Certainly the highlight of the trip was  two male Wilson's Warblers,
very well seen, one at close range.  Woohoo!  I also got good looks at
male Cape May Warblers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, many Monarch
butterflies and some pretty spectacular scenery.

Here is an abbreviated trip list:

Cooper's Hawk
Merlin (it lingered and hunted)
Peregrine Falcon
RT Hummingbirds (moving fast and with a purpose)
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-breasted Nuthatches, many
both kinglets
Swainson's Thrush
Cedar Waxwing
N. Parula
Tennessee Warbler everywhere
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler, but only 2
Black-throated Green Warbler
Palm Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
American Redstart
Wilson's Warblers (I repeat, Woohoo!)
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Pine Siskin

What a great place, I'm there next year for sure.

Rick Payne
Durham, NC