a slow weekend

Hi C-birders,

Glad there were so many migrants *somewhere* this weekend. It was pretty
dead whereever I went. Saturday, I went odonate-watching with Wake
Audubon: John Connors, Patrick Coin, and Nick Haddad and his family. We
found five damselflies of three families, and nine or so dragonflies of
three other families, visiting Anderson Point and Raleigh Beach Park.
However, the only bird of any real note was an immature Red-headed
Woodpecker, seen from the boardwalk at RBP. Otherwise, a few Great Blue
Herons, a Wood Duck or two, etc. No migrant birds, although three of the
dragonflies were probably migrating...

Sunday, the DNHS visited Hemlock Bluffs. Even here, not many migrants,
although Jeff Pippen ferreted out a few: one American Redstart, 2+ Black-
throated Blue Warblers, and one high-soaring Monarch Butterfly. Spent
much more time admiring plants like Indian Pipes, Hearts-a-bustin',
Galax, and of course the Hemlocks themselves, plus many impressive fungi.

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 AHK4586@aol.com wrote:

> Common Yellowthroat-1
> BTBlue Warbler-2
> Cape May Warbler-2
> Baltimore Oriole-1
>
> These four birds were all in the same tree, an ash with a vine of small
> fruits on it. The Cape May was feeding very actively on these fruits.

The main fruity vine around here lately, other than wild grapes, is
Virginia Creeper. Leaflets in palmate arrangements of five each. Just in
case anyone wants to plant some in your yard... though I haven't seen it
in any local nurseries as yet. You'll probably have to do as I'm trying
to with Pokeberry and wild grape: collect some fruits, put them in your
bird feeders, and hope something eats them and then stays in your yard to
poop!

Good Birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose