Black-headed Grosbeak

Hi Carolinabirders,
	This morning Gary Phillips and I birded New Road in Conway, Horry County,
SC. I was hoping to get the Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Gary reported a few
days earlier. Instead I saw something even better! A male (probably first
winter) Black-headed Grosbeak.  It was seen on the east side of New Road
about half way down the road under the canopy of some alders with vines
hanging over them. Unfortunately I was not sure of what I had seen until
after I consulted a field guide, so Gary did not see the bird although he
is going to look for it this afternoon with Charlie Heacock.

33 species id'd.

Great Egret-2
Turkey Vulture-1
Mourning Dove-6
Hummingbird sp-1
Red-headed Woodpecker-4
Red-bellied Woodpecker-2
Downy Woodpecker-2
N. Flicker-1 heard only
Pileated Woodpecker-1
Blue Jay-4
Carolina Chickadee-3
Tufted Titmouse-7
Brown-headed Nuthatch-2 heard only
Carolina Wren-6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher-1 heard only
Gray Catbird-3
N. Mockingbird-2
Brown Thrasher-2
White-eyed Vireo-3
Red-eyed Vireo-3
Tennessee Warbler-1 probable
Black-throated Blue Warbler-1
Pine Warbler-2
Am. Redstart-6
Common Yellowthroat-3
Summer Tanager-1
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK-1-about 8 inches long rather plump songbird, dark
grosbeak bill, head dark, DISTINCT ORANGE UNDERPARTS FROM EDGE OF CHIN TO
UNDERTAIL COVERTS, DARK GRAY WINGS WITH DISTINCT WHITE WINGBARS, white
undertail coverts, back darkish but not well seen, tail was seen on edge.
The bird flew and we stayed about 15 minutes trying to coax the bird into
view by spishing and playing the screech owl tape to no avail. The best
field guide rendition of the bird is in the Thayer's sofware, second male
pictured.
Common Grackle-3
House Finch-4

Good birding, good company