RBNuthatch etal./Green Tract redux

  Haven't seen Bruce(Young) report anything so I'll mention that
Chapel Hill Bird Club had good morning at Shepherd Trail area of Duke Forest
Sat.AM -- on power line walk near Shepherd trail had RED BREASTED NUTHATCH
(thought this might be a record-breaking early sighting, but lo-and-behold
Will's checklist has them potentially arriving end of Sept!), also Palm
Warbler in that area. And at Shepherd's Trail itself several fine mixed
flocks including RB Grosbeaks, Tanagers, and good array of warblers
(Blk-thrtd. Green, Blackburnian, Magnolia, Black thr. Blue, Redstart,
Chestn-sided, Bay-brstd).
-----------------------------------

for folks who emailed me wanting to know what I learned of Greene Tract:

first, the Adams Tract, mentioned by Jean is a totally different parcel of
land (that can also have some nice birds). The Greene Tract is apparently
north of Homestead Rd. and south of Eubanks Rd. landfill, bordered on East
by the RR tracks that cross Homestead (not sure how far west the tract
runs). May be able to get to it by going down Merin (sp?) Rd. off
Homestead(but not certain about parking?) or possibly going out Weaver Dairy
Rd extension. Someone else mentioned getting to it by walking across the
Eubanks Rd. landfill but I imagine this isn't recommended or allowed. And
still don't know about birding potential.

Rob Gluck
Chapel Hill
thrush@hotmail.com