Broad-billed Hummingbird arrives in North Carolina

Hello All!

A Broad-billed Hummingbird arrived at a feeder just outside New Bern (Craven
Co.) late Sunday October 7th.  It was still present this morning (Tuesday).
It appears to be an immature male.  The bird is coming to feeders (along
with at least one Ruby-throated) and blooming Salvias at the home of Inge
and Max Parker.  Inge is a local birder (Lower Neuse Bird Club) and bird
feeding enthusiast.  I am getting to know her quite well since I banded my
second NC Rufous at her home two years ago.

The Parkers welcome birders to view their tiny visitor.  However they live
in a gated, private residential community.  Therefore you MUST call Inge in
order to schedule a visit.  Entrance without permission is not possible and
there is no other access point to the neighborhood other than through the
gate. The Parker's number is (252) 637-4966.

I will be heading out to see (and hopefully band) this hummer as soon as I
can.  Bob Holmes and a few others were at the Parkers yesterday and said the
bird gave good views and was feeding regularly, especially in the afternoon.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this hummer sticks around awhile.
Nancy Newfield has informed me that other winter wandering Broad-billeds
have been cooperative but there is simply no guarantee.  And if the Parker's
hospitality is any indication, I expect this little jewel will stay a good
long time.