Broad-billed Hummer

Dear C-Birders:

Carolyn Bush and I arrived after 4:30 last night, Tuesday, Oct. 9 in
Fairfield Harbor, New Bern, NC, and after waiting  a good bit during which
we saw 2 Ruby throats, one of which was quite dominant and had me worried,
we got a nice look at the Broad-billed.  His bill was almost all yellow
which baffled me until the very gracious hostess, Inge Patch sensibly
suggested it must be pollen.  Then after a shorter wait he tantalized us
again calling nearby (the abbreviated Ruby-crowned call).  Then he showed
up:  in the trees, in the sage and other red flowers, on the feeder, just
giving us a lot of angles and different lighting conditions.  Much satisfied
we left shortly thereafter.  This is a great bird-friendly yard with lots of
feeders and plantings so it's no wonder the rare hummers are attracted.  A
great birding experience for North Carolina listers!  And birders, period.

Had some nice birding on Sunday at Carolina Beach St. Pk. and Ft. Fisher
where we were happy to run into Sam Cooper who told us about a very
productive spot in the Ft. Fisher area we had never birded.  Thanx Sam.

Around here I was tickled to get yardbird #177 this fall, a Northern
Waterthrush.

Good Birding All,
Mary McDavit, Sunset Lakes, NC, near Sunset Beach.
osprey1@atmc.net

Good Birding