Big Sit

Hi Carolinabirders,
	Today some 9 Waccamaw Audubon members tended the circle at the west end of
the causeway as we participated in the national "Big Sit".  Despite rather
heavy winds and intermittant light rain in the afternoon. From 6AM to about
5PM our sitters tallied 50 species. (Hopefully Phil Turner who finished up
may have picked up a few more) As follows we had in order:

1. Great Horned Owl
2. E. Screech Owl
These first two in the dark about 6:20 two Great Horned Owls appeared to be
singing a distant duet, while the Screech Owl called once from the pine
trees near the old causeway parking area at dawn about 6:55
3. Yellow-Crowned Night-Heron
4. N. Mockingbird
5. Great Blue Heron
6. Clapper Rail
7. Carolina Wren
8. Black-Crowned Night-Heron
9. Belted Kingfisher
10. Tricolored Heron
11. Great Egret
12. Laughing Gull
13. Merlin
14. Snowy Egret
15. Sharp-shinned Hawk
16. European Starling
17. Am. Crow
18. Boat-tailed Grackle
19. Wood Stork
20. Double-crested Cormorant
21. Tree Swallow
22. Caspian Tern
23. Lesser Yellowlegs
24. White Ibis
25. Blue Jay
From #3 to #25 was only about a half hour 7 to 7:30AM beginning with 5
Night-Herons mostly Black-Crowned rising out of the marsh to fly into a
cove of Mullet Pond
26. Mourning Dove
27. Red-winged Blackbird
28. Cooper's Hawk-a pair cavorting in a prominent snag to the left of the
pines  south of Mullet Pond. They were chased off by #29 who wanted it for
himself.
29 Bald Eagle-immature
30. E. Phoebe
31. Osprey
32. Fish Crow
33. Ring-billed Gull
34. JAEGER SP-I didn't see the bird
35. N. Cardinal
36. Herring Gull
37. Forster's Tern
38. Black-bellied Plover
39. Semipalmated Plover
40. Western Sandpiper
41. Short-billed Dowitcher
42. Willet
43. Common Grackle
44. N. Flicker
45. LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL-I saw this one
46. Greater Yellowlegs
47. Tufted Titmouse
48. Am. Oystercatcher
49. Little Blue Heron