Last week on the Outer Banks

The family spent the last week at Nag's Head and although it was mainly a
kid-oriented vacation I did get a little time for birding. There were
three highlights:

Clay-colored Sparrow - Sunday October 7th at the Old Coastguard Station
on Pea Island after the coldfront

Least Flycatcher - Tuesday October 9th in the scrub behind our rental
house, just south of Jockeys Ridge State Park.

Long-tailed Jaeger - Thursday October 11th, seen off the beach,
presumably attracted by the large flocks of Gulls that were surface
feeding offshore. It did not stop though, just kept heading south.

Also, my 4 year old daughter appears to be picking up some birding skills
as she was the first to spot a high soaring Peregrine a Bodie Island
Lighthouse on the 7th.

Jim Bloor, Ph.D
Department of Biology
Developmental, Cell and Molecular Biology
Group
B330 LSRC Building
Duke University
Research Drive