Eating on the Outer Banks?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Roger Shaw wrote:

> And also, what're some good places to eat in the area? I'll probably be
> staying in Manteo somewhere.

Hi C-birders,

Despite my usual eye for good places to eat, and several trips to the
Outer Banks, I haven't found any really good places to eat in either
Manteo or Nags Head. The only good food on the upper banks so far has
been in Wanchese, a place which I think was called Fisherman's Wharf. Did
have nice big elevated windows facing a marshy shoreline with a Black-
crowned Night Heron and other birds on my one visit.

There were some decent places down in Buxton; I think I remember a good
one called the Hatteras Sandwich Shop, or something like that.

Anyway, with Wings Over Water coming up this weekend, I'd appreciate
hearing OBX food suggestions. I'd also appreciate updates on the
Sprague's Pipit, in hopes that it'll stick around. I guess the New Bern
Broad-billed Hummer is long gone...

Just back from Massachusetts, for a surprise party for my parents' 40th
anniversary. Not much birding time out there, but took my wife, neice,
and nephew out through the woods to the Wenham Canal and saw a Hermit
Thrush, a Yellow-rump, and a mildly surprising Turkey Vulture. My nephew
and I managed to count 46 (!) Red-backed Salamanders and one Spotted
(!!) Salamander by flipping surprisingly few logs in typically chilly
October Massachusetts weather, including 8 Red-backs under a single log,
and 5 more under an old piece of asphalt.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University