Congaree Bluff on 1 Nov 2001

Hi C-Birders,

I spent three hours this afternoon at the Congaree Bluff Heritage Preserve
hawk watch near Fort Motte, Calhoun Co., SC. The weather was warm and humid,
with light southerly winds -- not conducive to a great hawk movement. My
best bird was an adult Bald Eagle rapidly moving southeast along the
Congaree River. The eagle came within 200 meters of the hawk watch.

Closer to home I have heard one report of Red-breasted Nuthatches coming to
a backyard bird sprinkler here in Columbia. It's beginning to look like a
great winter for irruptive species in the Carolinas.

Here are my hawk watch totals for 1 Nov 2001 at Congaree Bluff:

Black Vulture -- 8
Turkey Vulture -- 12
Bald Eagle -- 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk -- 4