Southern Parkway Birds

This morning (Sunday) I decided to hike into the Shining Rock Wilderness Area (off the Parkway at mile 420.2) with the hopes of having a Golden Eagle fly over my head.  No such luck.  I did, however, have nice flocks of Cedar Waxwings, Purple Finch, and Pine Siskins along the Ivestor Gap Trail.  Between the Cradle of Forestry Visitor Center and the Parkway on Hwy 276 I did have 4 Ruffed Grouse in the road and was able to watch them for several minutes from a distance of 10 feet.  I hate to even mention this but I did have a raptor at mile 439 which I viewed for perhaps 15 seconds as it fly up the valley towards the road that looked like a possible Northern Goshawk.  I walked the Parkway and scanned for a long time but never relocated the bird.  Oh well!!!

Keith Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, Nc 28056
704-824-0626i