Western Grebe at Falls Lake

Jeff Pippen and I relocated the Western Grebe today at Falls Lake (in Durham
County). We observed it off and on from 4:30-5:10 off the beach at
Rollingview - it was about halfway across the lake, well to the south of
Sandling, and seemed to spend most of its time underwater.  There are also
several Common Loons in the area (we even heard one calling).

This is the first one I know of that's been seen in the Triangle area.
Thanks to Ricky for finding the grebe and pelican and getting the word out!
What's next? :-)

My best bird of the morning was a Lincoln's Sparrow at Brickhouse Road.
Others in the CHBC group saw a late Great Egret.  There were also lots of
butterflies in the area - 21 species, mostly nectaring on turnip flowers -
not bad for mid-November!

Will Cook
Durham NC
cwcook@duke.edu