Fw: birding etiquette

This is a good question, and I'm not sure if Miss Manners or anyone else has
ready answers. Here is my 2 cents worth:

1. It is O.K., even expected, to at least introduce yourself, volunteer a
summary of what you have seen, and ask if the others have seen anything. One
major exception to this might be during some sort of birding contest, such
as the World Series of Birding. I have made a few life-long birding friends
just by being friendly on the trail, and I have been put on to many, many
good birds this way. I hope I have helped others as well. This is one of the
best parts about birding, and we should encourage it.

2. Be very tactful when dealing with organized tour groups. A professional
birding tour leader makes his or her living by providing information. Don't
expect to sponge off of such groups. You will encounter them in birding hot
spots (such as southeastern Arizona or Costa Rica), but not too often in
Jackson Park (unless Simon Thompson has a trip there).

3. Once you have done the usual chit chat, and the other group makes no move
to ask you along, then go on your way. On the other hand if you meet a
beginner whom you would not mind tagging along with your group then make the
invitation. But there is no slight in not doing so. Some people would rather
bird alone, or just with their friends.

Compared to when I started birding in 1970 there are lots more birders in
the field now, in 2001. But still Caroline and I can go on a two week
birding vacation to a really great spot in North America without meeting any
other birders at all. I think this was the case for our July 2000 trip to
Newfoundland and Labrador. But our mid May trip to Point Pelee a decade ago
was another matter!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com