Broad-tailed Hummer: "Tickled" to see it

Carolinabirders,

I saw the Broad-tailed Hummingbird this afternoon (Wednesday) at Mrs.
Tickle's home near Gibsonville.  I arrived about 2:30 and waited until 3:05
before the hummer came to the feeder.  He came back again about 3:45.  I
left afterwards.

Before both feeder visits he made his presence known with some fairly loud
chipping which appeared to come from high up in nearby trees.  He certainly
fits quite well the picture of the young male in the Sibley guide.  The tail
is noticeably long.  The throat is heavily streaked with green, but I didn't
see any red gorget feathers during my two short observations.
--
John and Paula Wright     h 252-756-5139

johnswrighthsd@earthlink.net      Greenville, North Carolina