Congaree Bluffs Heritage Preserve

Due to some missed communications with the South Carolina Department of
Natural Resources I have been using an incorrect name for the heritage
preserve near Fort Motte in Calhoun Co., SC. The correct name is plural --
Congaree Bluffs Heritage Preserve.
This is my mistake, but I hope you will find it a trivial one.

I did a three hour hawk watch at the Congaree Bluffs site on Tuesday, 13 Nov
2001. I don't have much to report -- 6 Black Vultures and 1 Northern Harrier
seemed to be migrating. There were numerous other Black and Turkey Vultures
and two or three Red-tailed Hawks, as well as a Sharp-shinned Hawk, but
there were all probably local winter residents.

The most unusual migrants were a flock of about 75 Ring-billed Gulls, moving
southeast across the river over Congaree Swamp National Monument (COSW). We
have very few records of gulls for COSW, but now that we are visiting
Congaree Bluffs Heritage Preserve on a regular basis this will most likely
change, since we can see so much more of what is passing over the national
monument. Also migrating were the expected flocks of Common Grackles and
American Robins. Winter is almost here.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com