Pelican-yes/Grebe-yes

Carolinabirders,

One of the things that keeps birding interesting is the fact that birds can
fly.  This morning (Thursday) I went to the Rolling View beach area at Falls
Lake across from Sandling Beach where the Western Grebe had been seen.  The
lake was as quiet as a mill pond without a bird in sight.  After a half hour
of scanning I went across the parking lot to the restroom area to scan up the
lake to the NE.  There on a spit with many gulls was the White Pelican.
Within 15 minutes it flew off toward I 85 where it had been seen previously.
As I was leaving I drove down to the swimming beach on the opposite side of
the peninsula and found the Western Grebe swimming just off the beach.  The
moral of the story:  if your target bird is not where it is supposed to be,
don't give up--it may have used its wings.

Clyde Smith
Raleigh, NC
Smith82534@aol.com