Unusual Woodcock Sighting in N. Durham Co

Yesterday I was at a shrub nursery in N. Durham County when I saw a
woodcock fly out of a dry, exposed lawn.  I mentioned it to Eric Stafford,
who owns the nursery.  He said "it is right there in the lawn".  Sure
enough, about 15 feet from the edge of the woods was another woodcock
standing in the lawn at about 9:oo AM.  It shuffled its feet and moved
slowly to the edge of the woods where it went out of sight.  The whole
process took about 10 minutes.  I am not used to seeing woodcock in broad
daylight in the open of a lawn.

Neat.

Tom

.