Big white owl

All,

Is a 300 mile round trip between 1:30 and 8:00 in the evening to see one
bird worth the effort? You bet it is! The snowy was in a little clump of
sea oats on the barren flat just north of the Baldhead sign at 4:30
monday evening. He (?) was spectacular! He was also lifer no. 538; my
last lifer, oddly enough, was almost exactly a year ago (the famous
mango). He sat with his wings hanging lax at his sides;  the little
patch of habitat  probably looks familiar to him, but the 80 degree
temps are perhaps a bit of a surprise. I have some digital images (taken
at about 70 yards) of him; if anyone would like to see them, drop me a
note.

If you are making the trek be aware of the tides; at full high, the
beach road is subject to overwash in a couple of places (and sinking a
vehicle would probably put a damper on the sighting!).

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC
clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu