The Snowy Owl

From the chit-chat on this listserve, the Ft. Fisher Snowy Owl has the
attention of many birders. My guess is that this weekend is going to
provide the time for lots of people to go for a look. I was fortunate,
along with 7-8 others, to get great looks by 8:30 AM this morning
(Thursday, 29 November).

I would like to stress 2 important points:

	1. The morning high tides are going to create a real problem for
vehicles going down the beach. Be very aware of this and proceed with
caution.
	2. The bird appears very relaxed other than being uncomfortable from
the heat. I hope everyone will give it room and stay at least 100 yards
back. We all had great looks with 'scopes. Encroachment to the point of
causing unrest or flying is thoughtless and unnecessary. This is not a
photo op with a point and shoot!!

I want to publically thank Bruce Smithson for his owlmanship!

Wayne Irvin
145 Riding Lane
Southern Pines, NC