Owl, local waterfowl

As mentioned previously several birders from the Triangle area successfully
viewed the Ft. Fisher SNOWY OWL Saturday morning.  After reading Sunday's
reports it appears we were quite lucky to find the bird on the north side
of the Bald Head sign, thus negating the need for a lengthy hike.  While in
the area the group also located the three maritime sparrows as well as
Sedge and Marsh Wrens.  These birds were in the vicinity of the first
concrete bombing target south of the paved road.  Jeff Lewis and Bert
Fisher mentioned a PURPLE SANDPIPER at the Ft. Fisher rock sea wall.  Sure
enough one was picking around on the small concrete caissons at the base of
the rocks.

On the way back to Raleigh we spotted an ANHINGA at Greenfield Lake among
the many cormorants.

Sunday Tracy and I did a quick survey of waterfowl at the ponds around the
house:

West Lake Pond- 5 TUNDRA SWAN, 175 Ring-necks, 26 Am. Wigeon, 6 Mallard, 1
GW Teal, 1 Canvasback
Greenview Pond- no ducks, did see a Loggerhead Shrike
1010 Pond- a small raft of wigeon and ring-necks.  They were in the lee of
the wind along the shoreline nearest the road.  Since the ducks spook
easily at this location we decided not to approach the pond to get a count.
NCSU Dairy- (Accessible by written permit only) 13 Bufflehead,  7 Lesser
Scaup, 2 Mallard, 6 Ring-neck

Have a great week!
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC