WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS on Grandfather Mountain!!

I found a flock of at least 14 White-winged Crossbills on Grandfather Mtn.
this afternoon.  They were feeding on the cones of the red spruce trees in
front of the nature museum and also a few of them went to the feeders at the
museum.  I got some photos that I will post later.  Also around the museum
were hundreds of Pine Siskins, a few Red Crossbills, and a large immature
accipiter that I got a couple of brief looks at but, not enough to make an
i.d.  I was looking for the accipiter when I found the Crossbills.  There
were a lot of cones on the trees, so the WW Crossbills might stick around
for a while.  They are very tame, as I got right under a couple of them
while they were on a low branch of the tree.

Dwayne
Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC