Hilton Pond 12/01/01 (Buff-bellied Hummer)

HI . . .

Things have gotten a little out of order on the Web site for Hilton
Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History, what with the excitement
over our recent banding of the first Buff-bellied Hummingbird ever
seen in South Carolina.

We posted an account of that event recently, but have incorporated it
into "This Week at Hilton Pond" for the week of 1-7 December at the
first link below; the new installment includes weekly banding totals
and a nice mug shot of an orange-eyed second-year female
Sharp-shinned Hawk.

This installment also has a link to the text of the story that
appeared in today's (8 December) issue of The State newspaper in
Columbia. The nicely written news article included a HUGE half-page
version of the Buff-bellied Hummingbird mug shot that appears at the
top of the 1-7 December edition of "This Week at Hilton Pond." We've
never seen a larger color photo in a newspaper, and it was just
breathtaking!

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek011201.html

For the sake of consistency, we've also gone back and posted "This
Week at Hilton Pond" for the preceding week (22-30 November). We
didn't write a lot, but for those of you who keep track of our banded
birds and recaptures, we thought we'd better make the posting at:

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek011122.html

Thanks, as always, for visiting our Hilton Pond Web site, and please
forward this e-mail to folks you know who are interested in nature
topics.

Happy Nature Watching,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.