Am. White Pelican at Pawleys Island, SC, 12-16

Hi ya;ll,
    Yesterday, Ritch Lilly and I spent a little time at Pawleys Island, SC
scoping out my L/PI CBC area. An Am . White Pelican was flushed from one of
the marsh channels between the north and south causeways by a fishing boat.
It flew northward. I suspect this bird has been hanging around the area for
awhile, as one was reported from Huntington Beach in Oct., then seen by Bob
and Barbara Maxwell at Litchfield a few days later. Beth Wiley from Pawleys
reported seeing the bird this past week.
Other cool stuff:
Red Knot - 2 near the south end of Pawleys with a group of Ruddy Turnstones
and Sanderling.
N. Gannet - several imm and a few adults not far off the beach
Common Tern - several along with a few Forster's
Horned Grebe - a group of 5 paddling southward
    Also noted several loons flying northward, and a Common Loon beached on
a sandbar in the north inlet.

Cheers,
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela@sccoast.net
"Never has the earth been so lovely nor the sun so bright, as today..."
(Nikinapi)