Chapel Hill CBC Loggerhead Shrike

Hi Carolinabirders,

Sorry, no Ash-throated Flycatchers in my CBC area today. But I did find a
Loggerhead Shrike this afternoon, just off Ford Road, about 1/4 mile off
the Old Greensboro Highway. It was lurking over some person's feeders at
the edge of a small unnamed trailer park, with about 15 Northern
Cardinals. I wouldn't be surprised in Wake County, but this was in
western Orange, and the species wasn't listed on my CBC count sheet.

Not much else of note, beyond my first Fox Sparrows of the winter amongst
many other usual winter landbirds at the Irvin Tract. I actually got lost
out there this morning and had to wander back to my car through an
embryonic subdivision on Nine Gates Road. The hazards of off-trail
birding...

Off to DC for Xmas, then Columbia (including the Lake Wateree CBC) for
New Year's. Happy Holidays,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University