Ash-throated Flycatcher, Western Kingbirds, other coastal birds

My brother and I spent Monday and Tuesday birding areas of Lake
Mattamuskeet, Alligator River NWR, and Bodie-Pea Island.  We didn't
see the Ash-throated Flycatcher, but we were there only from 7-9:30am
on Tuesday (it was really cold!).  We saw a Rough-legged Hawk, which
was very nice.  We did see the two kingbirds at Roanoke Island
(10AM-12 noon).  They like the dogwood trees in front of the NPS
headquarters (several Pine Warblers, big flock of E. Bluebirds,
Brown-headed Nuthatches, and Myrtle Warblers).  I don't think we saw
anything else unusual.  I say this because I haven't been to that area
for at least 5 years.  We looked out from the beach across from North
Pond at Pea Island for about an hour.  Northern Gannets were very
close to shore (I tried to find a Masked Booby, no luck), and a few
dolphins were seen.  Overall, a nice trip with a variety of duck
species seen (mostly Pintail).

Elisa Enders
eenders@unity.ncsu.edu
student, North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)