VA COMMON GULL

Just noted on VA birds that a COMMON GULL was well-documented on the
Chesapeake Bay CBC on the 26th.  The bird was located on the Chesapeake Bay
Bridge Tunnel.  Thought I would post to any interested carolinabirder who
may want to try for the bird.  Details can be read on birdingonthe.net.

Closer to home our Woodcock have still not begun courtship displays.  They
are 39 days later than last year and counting.  The birds are still around,
I see them most every evening I look for them, but no displays.  Originally
I figured the commencement of the displays were tied to amount of daylight,
but I now wonder if there is some relationship to temperature.  Last
Nov-Dec were quite cold, the local ponds were frozen over much of Dec, and
the birds started displaying 11/18.  This year has been quite warm, and no
displays.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC