Lake Wateree CBC still on!

>Birding is an extreme sport!
>Stu Gibeau

Stu -

You don't know the half of it.  Despite the worst of the current weather
models which predict 8 to 12 inches of snow for Newberry, Fairfield and
western Kershaw counties of South Carolina, the Lake Wateree CBC is still
scheduled for 4 January, 2002.  I am out of days to re-schedule as the count
period ends 5 January, 2002.  I field tested new boots this afternoon and I
am ready to go.  If only I had known I would need a pair of cross-country
skis...

As part of the count week preparations for the Lake Wateree CBC, Molly
Bonnell and I birded yesterday at the Lake Wateree SP.  Among the usual
suspects was a Bald Eagle (now at least a count week bird) and high numbers
of Golden-crowned Kinglets, which has been the norm for much of the fall and
early winter locally.  Molly and I also found a few more Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers than usual.  As has been the case locally all winter, there were
few ducks and fewer sparrows at Lake Wateree SP, despite the creation of
more habitat for sparrows as water levels continue to fall away and create
excellent "weedy" areas where shallow water and temporary mudflats once
persisted.

So if roads are passable, come do a Christmas Bird Count in the Deep South
and still get a healthy dose of "winter weather".  If the park is closed,
we'll meet at the front gate of Lake Wateree SP at 7:00 am.  It could be a
long time before we get another chance to do the Lake Wateree CBC in deep
snow.  Guess I should have paid more attention to the CBC Compiler's Manual
about reporting snow depths...

Donna Slyce Bailey
Lake Wateree CBC Compiler
Winnsboro, SC
Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"