RE: Cherohala Pkwy

>===== Original Message From Jim & Marlis Greenway <greenway@bellsouth.net>
=====
>A friend & I traversed the Cherohala Parkway Sunday after doing a CBC. We
>were really intrigued by the possiblilities of the place, especially during
>migration. Does anyone have any suggestions about birding this road (aside
>from not doing it today
> ;-)? Has anyone developed any sort of bird guide to the road?
>Thanks,
>Jim Greenway
>Fairmount, Ga

The Cherohala Skyway is indeed a wonderful birding site. For the past three or
four years, I have conducted at least part of the North American Migration
Count on International Migratory Bird Day in both May and September, plus I
usually visit the route one or two other times during the year.

The Skyway runs from Tellico Plains in Monroe County, Tenn, to the
Robbinsville area of Graham County, NC, about 25 miles in each state. It gets
over 5000 feet in elevation in a few areas.
There are a few picnic areas, as well as rest room facilities along the route
(no running water, but well-maintained).

Some day...(something I've been saying for too long now...;-) I plan to write
a birding guide to the area.....

In the spring, above about 3000 feet, you will be serenaded by Chestnut-sided,
Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green Warblers at many stops.
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks nest there. Black-capped Chickadees are possible (as
are probable hybrids with Carolinas) Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have nested. I
had a couple of Red Crossbills last spring.
In the fall, the flowers blooming at some areas bring many Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds.
Trails off the Skyway offer access to Canada Warbler and Golden-winged
Warblers (I've not found any Golden-wingeds myself, but know someone who has).
There have been occassional reports of partial albino Dark-eyed Juncos at
Huckleberry Knob in NC - really beautiful birds!!
Common Ravens are usually found.

Just a few other regular birds found, especially in spring and summer:
Veery; Red-breasted Nuthatch; Winter Wren; Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos;
Northern Parula, Ovenbird, Worm-eating, Blackburnian, Prairie,
Black-and-white, Hooded, Kentucky, Pine Warblers; Scarlet Tanager; lots of
Indigo Buntings and Dark-eyed Juncos. Swainson's Warblers are possible in some
of the forests at lower elevations off the Skyway.

I've not had too much luck there in winter, but I'm sure it can be good then
too. Watch the weather: it can be windy, rainy and colder at the higher
elevations, even when sunny at the bottom.

Hopefully, some day, I'll finally write that birding summary.....

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN
dtrently@utk.edu