Winston-Salem NC CBC Results

The Winston-Salem NC CBC was held on 12/29/01.  Forty one counters observed
eighty species count day with two additional species seen count period.

Highlights included:

Calliope Hummingbird (present for some time at a feeder)  It is believed to
be the 6th North Carolina Record.
This is the first year in a long time we had sightings of red-breasted
nuthatches, purple finches, and a pine sisken.
New count highs for Ruddy Ducks (38),  Hooded Mergansers (43), Dbl Crested
Cormorants (4), and Gadwalls (5).          (For those who do not know
Winston-Salem, Forsyth County we have no really large lakes).
Meadowlarks continue their drop as development increases.  Total was 6 this
year.  Another species that has almost             disappeared in the circle
is Northern Bobwhite Quail.  None were reported this year.
Anyone interested in the count totals may go to www.audubon.org and go to
Christmas Bird Count.  Our circle designation is WSNC.

David and Susan Disher
ddisher@concentric.net
Winston-Salem, NC