From: "Derb Carter" <derbc@msn.com>
To: <harry.legrand@ncmail.net>
Subject: green-tailed towhee
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:43:10 -0500

Harry -- please forward this to carolinabirds.  I relocated the green-
tailed towhee yesterday (sunday) in the same area Greg Massey found it on
the Southport count on Saturday.  It is with a flock of about 100
sparrows (white-throated, white-crowned, song, and a few swamp and fox)
feeding in a weedy field on the ADM property near Southport.  Some house
finches and a green painted bunting are also feeding with the sparrow
flock.  The site is less than 1/2 mile down Shepard Road just beyond
where the road makes a right hand curve.  Best landmark in the huge pile
of gypsum on the right (south side) of the road.  The flock hangs out in
the thick green hedgerow that borders the road on the south side in this
area.  The flock crosses to the north side of the road to feed in a dense
but small stand of head high dried weedy plants, returning across the
road to the hedgerow if disturbed.  PLEASE NOTE that the property on both
sides of the road is fenced, posted and enforced.  Several of us looked
hard for the towhee on Sunday morning with no success until heavy rains
began.  I returned alone after the rain and got several good looks at the
towhee in the hedgerow about 2 pm.  The birds do not respond well to
pishing and the best approach may be patience, waiting for the towhee to
pop out of the hedgerow or weedy field.  I also put out some bird seed in
a small opening in the weedy field which may bring some of the birds into
view.  Look for an opening in the barbed wire fence.

Shepard Road is a right hand turn off River Road out of Southport.  When
you enter Southport by the water front area take a left hand turn at the
light.  Pass the state ferry landing and follow the road until you can
not proceed any further because of a gate.  Turn left here on Shepard
Road.

This is a first state record for NC.  I was not able to get a photo.  If
would be great if someone could.

Derb Carter
Raleigh