Re: Black-throated Blue still here!

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Carleton Wood wrote:

> Just when I was beginning to think he was gone, my (sometimes we get SO
> possessive) Black-throated Blue Warbler shows up in the gardens again, up
> high in an oak. (Of course, "up high" is a relative term around here.)

I know how you feel; I have similar feelings toward "my" Ash-throated
Flycatcher...

> Does
> anyone out there know if there are any records of wintering BT Blues this
> far north? How about wintering Western Kingbirds?

Just looked into this on BirdSource, the website where Audubon and the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology keep the CBC records. So far, I've found a
record of Western Kingbird from last year's Hopewell, VA CBC, and a
second from Orange County, NY. None this year further north than Kitty
Hawk (which isn't in the computer yet), but the Zellwood FL count
registered 53!

As for Black-throated Blue, nothing yet from this year further north than
Florida, but last year someone apparently had one on the Durham count! I
think I have a vague memory of that, one hanging around somebody's bird
bath or something... The year before last, something must have been going
on with BTBWs: one on the Boston CBC, one in Seneca MD, one in a place
called Sagaponack NY, and - get this - Medicine Hat, Alberta!

I checked the range maps for these two species on the Patuxent Bird
Identification Infocenter, which supposedly are based on CBC data.
Unfortunately, the maps showed no indication of any of these records. I
guess they haven't updated those in a while...

For anyone who wants to search further, BirdSource is at
http://birdsource.cornell.edu/
The Patuxent bird website is
http://www.mbr.nbs.gov/id/framlst/framlst.html

Good birding,