Monk Parakeets

Hi birders,
     Sam Moore and I took a drive to Rocky Mount today to see the Monk
Parakeets. When we got there we learned that the nest had shorted out the
transformer a couple of weeks ago and set the nest and the pole on fire.  The
transformer had to be replaced.  The birds started rebuilding on the new one,
but soon stopped and moved to a barn across the road behind the L&L Food
Store.
The barn belongs to Phil Davenport, who repairs lawn mowers in a building
near the barn.  He is very happy that they chose his barn and he is very
protective of them.
He is happy to have birders come to view them.  He was very gracious to us
and invited is to come back any time.

Mark B. Simpson
523 W. Hooks River Rd.
Goldsboro, NC 27530