Lincoln's, Grasshopper, Vesper Sparrows, McDowell Park, NC

Birders,

I just returned from McDowell Prairie Restoration Area in Mecklenburg Co.,
NC, from a successful rare butterfly chase (butterfly details posted on
CarolinaLeps).  This is where the Common Ground-Dove was reported a couple
of weeks ago.  I did not relocated the ground-dove, but did find TEN
species of sparrows.  This is a really neat area of fields, brush piles,
and prairie-under-construction.  I believe that regular birding of this
place over the winter could produce several interesting sightings from
rails to sparrows.

Since I found the Dainty Sulphur fairly quickly, I was able to spend about
3 hours working the fields and brush piles for sparrows.  Best finds were
a SEDGE WREN, a LINCOLN'S SPARROW, a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, two VESPER
SPARROWS, and an AMERICAN BITTERN (in the flooded field/impoundment area).
Also saw a kestrel, several Palm Warblers, and a White-crowned Sparrow.

The Sedge Wren and Lincoln's Sparrow were found if you take the left fork
after passing the pond.  Then veer right at the next fork so that you're
heading toward the dilapidated shack/barn.  After about 100-200 meters,
the broken hedge on your right fades into field (ending in a decent-sized
tree).  Both the wren and the Lincoln's flushed into the brush under this
tree from the grassy field on the other side of the hedge.  (I was walking
the field, not the road here.)

Good birding,

Jeff

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278