Big Sit at Congaree Bluffs

Hi C-Birders,

Well, it's Big Sit time again. Next Sunday we will sit the Big Sit at the
Congaree Bluff Hawk Watch site. See www.columbia-audubon.org for details. I
plan to be there just about all day, from dawn to dusk.

Today Caroline Grego, John Grego and I did a bit of a hawk watch at Congaree
Bluffs in the morning, and in the afternoon I hiked around the preserve with
Bert Pittman and members of the South Carolina Native Plant Society,
botanizing. Bert was eager to point out ot us the mountain wild flowers that
are found on the bluffs and in the ravines of the preserve.

As for birds John and Caroline had a Peregrine Falcon before I got there,
and we saw a few migrating accipiters and others as well. I also spied a
somewhat late Wood Stork. In all John and Caroline have 9 species of hawks
today, including the two vultures, but not counting the Wood Stork. I think
we should count Wood Storks if we count vultures.

Next Sunday we hope to spot 50 species from the hawk watch. We still need
Rough-legged Hawk and Golden Eagle from the hawk watch. All of the other
expected hawks have been spotted at least once.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com