HBSP (10/26) and Horry County (10/27)

Hello,

Just a word or two on some notables from the weekend -

As Jack Peachey's latest HBSP missive (last week) would have predicted, the
Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrows are now present in the ususal numbers at
HBSP.  We saw over a dozen at high tide at the base of the jetty.  Also
with them was a single Seaside Sparrow.

Quite possibly there was a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow there, too.  It
looked like a Nelson's from the back (drab, without white streaking), but
had too much obvious streaking on the breast for me to be comfortable with
calling it that (with lots of Saltmarsh S-t sparrows around).  If you know
these two species, would you please tell me if the characteristic back is
indicative for Nelson's?

Other "winter" birds we saw  at HBSP included:
a Gannet, a scaup (Lesser, I reckon), Bufflehead, Common Loon, and a flight
of 16 Black Scoters.  Also, we watched a Merlin at play with Tree Swallows.

On Sunday AM, our Hardwick Road (Horry County) walk included an
Orange-crowned warbler and a slightly late Yellow-breasted Chat.

Steve

Stephen Thomas
stype@sccoast.net
Aynor, SC