lunchtime sapsucker

I saw my first Red-bellied Sapsucker of the fall just a little while ago in
the Coker Arboretum on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus. She flew into a ginkgo
tree. There was definitely some bird action:  I also saw several Red-eyed
Vireos, an immature American Redstart, and a Blue-winged Warbler. The
Blue-winged was gleaning insects from a Chinese Fringe Tree (Chionanthus
retusus). The arboretum is full of Asian trees that are cousins to native
species. Today it's also full of small mosquitos!
Ginger Travis
at work in Chapel Hill, N.C.