Falls Lake shorebirds etc.

Hi,

here you are shorebirds count from Ellerbe Creek mud flats (me and Brian
Bockhahn):

Am. Golden Plover - 1 juv. (bird was still there when we left the area)
Killdeer  -  21
Semipalmated Pl.  - 7
Lesser Yellowlegs - 25 juv. 1 ad
Pectoral Sandpiper - 13 (saw only 2 ad)
Western Sand. - 5 juv. 1 ad (juv. loosing their nice colors, getting
more grayish), the adult almost in full winter plumage
Semipalmated Sand. - 18 juv.
Least Sand. - 133 juv. 8 ad
Common Snipe - 1 (almost impossible to tell apart ad and juv. in the
field)

Sora - 1
Am. Kestrel - 1 juv/female

Small birds along railroad

Red-eyed Vireo - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 8 + 7 in vegetation on the lake
N. Parula - 1
Magnolia War. - 5
Pine W. - 1
Am. Redstart - 2
Yellow-billed C. - 1
Blue Grosbeak - 1
Eastern Phoebe - 3

I hope we will have that water level on the lake for next month. There
are still lot of shorebirds to be found! That front coming (if not stop
over Appalachians) from the West may bring some interesting birds.

Mike
Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
4600 University Drive apt. 1312
Durham, NC 27707