Falls Lake shorebirds

Hi,

Water is going down very quickly and now is probably the lowest ever I
have seen so far. There are many new mud flats worthy to be checked out.

There are new birds in the area, not many species but looks there are
more to come (I hope).
Some of these late juveniles are already started moult into winter
plumage and some adults are already almost in winter plumage so it is
getting hard to age most of shorebirds.
Here you are my counts from Little Lick, Panther and Ellerbe Creeks mud
flats:

Black-belied Plover - 1 juv. - 0 - 0
Killdeer - 38 - 25 - 11
Semipalmated Pl. - 1 - 0 - 0
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1 juv. - 0 - 34
Pectoral Sandpiper - 28 - 40 - 13
Dunlin - 9 juv. - 0 - 0
White-rumped Sand. - 0 - 0 - 1
Least Sand. - 5 ad. 6 juv. - 0 - 1

A. Kestrel - 3 - 0 - 2

There were also 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks along Ellerbe Creek's RR.
Most of shorebirds behave like new arrivals with kind of "migration
fever" (frequently flying, looking for good place for feeding etc.).
Dunlins (the new species for Durham area for me) also juveniles were
some 80% moulted into winter plumage.
I wonder what is the water level in Jordan Lake? I hope the second part
of shorebirds migration will produce some nice species as well, like
juvenile White-rumped Sandpiper which seems to be very elusive bird
here.
NOt much Warblers activity with some Pine singing, 1 Palm, 3 Common
Yellowthroats  and 3 males, 1 female Black-throated Blue.

Mike

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
4600 University Drive apt. 1312
Durham, NC 27707